Smartec Business Solutions is one of very few companies that specialises in planning, implementing and supporting Strategic Meetings Management (SMM) programs for corporate events teams, meetings and events agencies, or travel management companies. Smartec is totally independent and impartial, and can work with a client’s preferred SMM platform, or provide consultancy to recommend a platform that best suits the client.
Smartec specialises in business efficiency and productivity through the optimal use of technology, and can work with on local, regional or global projects.
Strategic Meetings Management
A strategic meetings management program for both corporates and agencies is a key component in bringing efficiency to an organisation by driving compliance, promoting common processes and centralising data management.
Smartec can help organisation in the following way:
- Plan an SMM program by firstly analysing the organisations processes, policies, business mix and total event-related spend
- Recommend a SMM technology platform, if there is none in place
- Implement a full SMM program by engaging with key stakeholders, and rolling out common processes and technology platform to all user
- Support an SMM program, as continued review and improvement are critical to the ongoing success of SMM. This means ongoing tracking of policy compliance, system usage and industry best practice
A full SMM program will allow clients to gain visibility of all event spend, be it for themselves or their clients. The services below can be provided as standalone services, or an integral part of an enterprise wide SMM solution.
Anyone who has ever managed an event will know that the seemingly ‘simple’ task of registration (aka delegate / attendee management) can be a minefield! Those simple requirements often mushroom into a full blown project, which may involve any number of the following pieces of functionality:
- Custom event web site design with social media integration
- Different registration processes for different delegate types
- Hotel and flight management for delegates
- Group registrations (e.g., PA carries out registration on behalf of attendees)
- Invitation and contact management
- Secure online payments
- Post registration amendments
- Badging and onsite management
- Event mobile app
- Post event surveys, reporting and ROI analysis
Smartec can work with clients to manage their registration events, or provide an outsource service.
Most events, be they ‘pitch’ business or from contracted clients, start with a location (based on the event brief), followed by a venue sourcing process. This can be heavily manual and labour intensive, unless an online sourcing tool is used. Online tools allow organisations to send their event briefs to a number of selected venues on a single platform, then compare their responses.
When considering an online venue sourcing tool, the key factors are the quantity and quality of the venue data, and the speed with which venues respond. Established tools have thousands of venues that are familiar with responding on the tool, so responses are forthcoming without having to follow up with the venues… whereas other tools give you the option to use your own venue database, which brings its own data management overhead.
Smartec can work with clients to:
- select an appropriate venue sourcing platform
- manage data in an existing venue database
- leverage past venue spend to create a preferred supplier list, with appropriate processes and policies to promote these venues
- optimise venue sourcing proposals to make it easy for clients to select an option from a number of venues
Most agencies and TMCs will have a department specialising in Group Travel, which will normally consist of air, rail or hotel bookings that take place on a GDS. Whereas automation of business travel is relatively straight forward, it is much more complex for group travel. One reason for this is that GDS PNRs do not support all the features of an individual PNR, leading to the double entry of traveller information from the GDS to a flight manifest, and the manual synchronisation of both systems as client requirements change.
Smartec can work with clients to review if their processes are in line with industry best practice, and look at technology solutions that integrate meetings management with GDS PNRs.